Step 1, Day 1 – March 18, 2016
Here are the first videos, beginning on day one of the build. Disclaimer: Anyone using these videos and blog to assist with their build NEED to read the blog, as I will explain most of the errors made on the written portions. In some cases I describe my errors on the next video.
Tip #1. I’d say that the most helpful thing I first did in my build was to take all the hardware provided in the kit, and separated it all into individual plastic ziplock bags. I numbered each bag in accordance with the numbers provided on the yellow sheet in the text plans which correspond to the building directions as the project progresses. I also discovered that I was missing a few pieces (e.g. a bolt, a screw, a washer), which I chose to simply buy at the local hardware store (as it was only a couple dollars and not worth the hassle of trying to recoup from Aviation Products.)
I found the instructions and plans a bit overwhelming. Mistake #1: Even after several days of reading the instructions and looking over the plans, I didn’t see the dimensions for the bending fixture template (which is located on plan/drawing sheet 1 of 6). The written text says “fabricate a fixture for bending fuselage sides as shown on Sheet 6.” While sheet 6 shows the fixture, it doesn’t show the dimensions. I ultimately found them after the fact, on sheet 1. So in this first video, I discuss how the plans didn’t have dimensions).
Steaming took me considerably longer than 15 minutes (closer to 30 minutes for each fuselage side) and I still didn’t truly get the fixtures bent as far as I think they needed to be as I ultimately forced the two halves together. I calculated the weight of water cans by googling the weight of water and multiplying it by the quantities the plans suggested (2 gallons x 8.345 (weight of 1 gallon of water in pounds) = 16.7 lbs. and ¾ gallon x 8.345 = 6.25 lbs.) Ultimately I decided to use some work-out weights that ranged from 2.5 (pink in the video), 6 (orange), and 10 lbs. (gray). Despite not being exact in weight, they worked extremely well in my opinion.